Monday, July 14, 2008

Dermatomyositis










Skin station - common MRCP question. Also seen in Undergraduate medical exams. I remember seeing my first dermatomyositis patient in Sarawak General Hospital when I was a medical student in 3rd year and was told by the physician to remember the characteristic facies.

This patient has heliotrope rash(named after the above flower which I took the photo while I was in UK for my MRCP exam). He also has gottron's papules with proximal myopathy. There are no oral ulcers or arthritis to suggest mixed connective tissue disease. There is a biopsy scar at his R biceps.

What are the investigations you would perform ?
CK, EMG, muscle biopsy, anti Jo1

What is the definitive treatment ?
High dose steroids 1 mg/kg

What is the association ?
Internal malignancy eg NPC, GI, Breast, Ovary, Lung, mostly detected within 2 years

No comments: